Garage Door Safety
A North Central Door garage door is an achievement of state-of-the-art technology and design, offering a variety of safety features to protect family and property. At the same time, a healthy knowledge of how your door functions can ensure years of safe and accident-free operation.
It’s easy to forget that a garage door is probably the largest and heaviest moving item in your home. Because it operates electronically and efficiently, we don’t always realize how powerful a device it is. Some simple common-sense rules for your family members will go far in protecting them from potential injury.
- Never let your children play near a moving garage door. Running beneath a closing door as a challenge is especially dangerous. Although many doors are equipped with photo eye or edge sensor signals that will reverse a closing door when tripped, the danger for injury still exists.
- Teach your children to respect and stay clear of ALL moving parts on your door and its operating system. Explain that these parts should NEVER be touched at any time, whether the door is moving or not.
- Never allow your child to play with the door’s remote control. Remote controls should remain out of reach of toddlers and young children.
- Be sure that your push-button wall control is mounted well out of reach of young fingers, preferably 60 inches or more from the floor.
- Test your system often to ensure that the door’s auto-reverse mechanism and force settings are properly adjusted. Consult your owner’s manual for details.
- When operating your door, keep it in sight until it completely opens or closes. Always be aware of people or items around the door area.